One thing that people keep asking us is: what is your baby's name? Until we get our Letter of Acceptance from China, there's very little information we're allowed to publish on the web, so I can't reveal his Chinese name yet.
We have chosen to name him:
Silas James.
We have read that Silas means "asked for" and "man of the forest." It also happens to be the name of my great-grandfather. James is the middle name of my father and grandfather. I do like the idea of bestowing family names on our adopted son. His names--first, middle, and last--represent his full integration into both sides of our family.
Both Brian and I like unique names, but we rarely agree. So, when we find one we both like, it's usually a keeper. Typically, I like unique names. While I would stop short of naming a kid, Apple or Archie or Magnus, I want my kid to be known by his first name on the playground. As a Jennifer, I was often one of at least three Jennifers, Jens, or Jennys in every class from K-12. I'm pretty sure my brother, Michael, thought his first name was "Mike M." until the 5th grade! So, I always wanted my kids to have a one-of-a-kind name.
Brian, on the other hand, is all about associations. If you mention a name, he first scours his brain for any person he as ever met with that name. If it's a negative association, the name is vetoed. Forever. If he doesn't know or has never met a person by that name, he goes for characters in movies, books or TV shows. I'm sure Silas having been a charismatic character on Brian's favorite TV show didn't hurt when I first made the suggestion two years ago. Since then, neither of us has wavered on our "boy name." We love it. And when you see our boy, we think you'll agree. He totally looks like a Silas!
1.26.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment