7.12.2010

Sleep Strike Day 5

I had really hoped to be able to report some progress in negotiations of the Sleep Strike.  Unfortunately, Silas is proving to be extremely tenacious in his quest to avoid anything resembling sleep.  It's frustrating for Brian and me because we know he needs sleep, and he's just not getting it.  The more sleep-deprived he is, the more prone he is to meltdowns over the littlest things.  Silas' doctor has recommended letting him cry it out because it seems that we're locked in a battle of wills.  Silas is no longer in pain from the surgery, and he doesn't seem to be experiencing any post-surgical trauma because as soon as he gets his way, he's happy and quiet (if not a bit cranky from being so overtired).

Brian and I differ on this one, but I will say, I'm not a fan of the cry it out method--especially for an orphan with whom we are trying to form a healthy attachment.  I hate the idea that he is crying out for us, and we aren't responding.  Also, I'm not certain that we'll be seeing any results from it.  I suspect the sleep strike will end when Silas wants it to end, and not a moment sooner.  In the meantime, we just have to keep reinforcing the routine, so that he knows what the rules are.  As for us, well, we're pretty sleep deprived these days, and looking forward to the end of this "phase."   :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment