7.20.2010

Two Weeks Post-Op Follow Up

Well, I wish I could report that the "sleep strike" is over, but despite this picture, it really isn't.  It certainly hasn't gone back to the way it was pre-op.  But, we carry on.  Silas had his two-week post-op follow up appointment today.  As of last Wednesday, it appeared that Silas had lost one of his tissue grafts and that one of his two fistulae had opened up.  The surgeon was unable to confirm that is the case, however, because of the various levels of sutures that he used to close the palate.  It may appear to be open from the mouth side, but the nasal side could still be closed.  Even if there is a small opening, it could close up on its own.  We just have to wait and see what happens at this point.  In no event would Silas have another surgery this year, so that's good.  I don't think we could handle another one any time soon.

To add insult to injury, Silas started daycare this week.  I go back to work full time tomorrow, so we put Silas in daycare for two hours on Monday, and four hours today.  I wouldn't say it went great, but it could have been worse.  Basically, Silas cried and slept.  I guess he's catching up on his lack of sleep while he's there.  It will be interesting to see if he opens up tomorrow, when he'll be there for a much longer day.  The good thing about this daycare is that there are video monitors so we can see how things are going from the office.  We can also call the classroom at any time and make sure he's doing okay.

We've gone on a couple of outings recently, so here are some photos:
Here's Silas looking at some turtles when we visited a small animal park.  He loves turtles!
And our second outing to the beach was much more successful than the first.  Silas loved playing in the water with his dad.  He's still not sold on the whole sand thing (understandable), which is why he looks a little uncomfortable in this photo, but he is definitely a water baby!  Can't wait to get him into swimming lessons so I won't have to be so worried when he gets adventurous near the water.

1 comment:

  1. Poor guy. I hope good news comes your way soon. On another note, he is so cuutte. Violet

    ReplyDelete