7.13.2010

Surgery Follow-Up

Today, Silas had his 1 week follow-up appointment with the oral surgeon.  They said his palate looks great and is healing well.  We go back next Tuesday for another look.

We don't have a follow up with the ENT for another couple of weeks, but we can already see a huge improvement in Silas' hearing.  He now reacts to almost every sound, which he didn't do before.  He also is listening to us more, and attaching meaning to our words.  Today, at lunch, he was hunched over in his high chair. I said, "Sit up, Silas," and propped him up.  He looked at me, and slumped over again just so I would say "Sit up," again.  When I did, he immediately complied.  He even did it again a few more times just to test it out.  It's pretty cool to see him learning like that.

We're making some progress on the sleep strike, as well.  Silas will now let us lay him down in the crib without immediately jumping back up to his feet.  That allows us to try and soothe him to sleep since he's having trouble doing that himself with the no-no's on.  Yesterday, including naps, he got a total of 9.5 hours of sleep--a big improvement over the prior 5 days of 6 hours each.   We're cautiously optimistic that things are turning around.

3 comments:

  1. So glad to see Silas sleeping better. Jake never seemed to want to bother his palate, so I have to admit after a while we would let him be without the armbands for a while. Also, he worked them off in his sleep (he was older), but I wonder since you are in there while Silas is going to sleep if it would hurt to leave off the no-nos until he goes to sleep and you can put them back on. Just a suggestion, and I know how important they are. It really depends how much they want to mess with their mouth or if they suck on their fingers (Jake did neither). He did so well at first and then got to hate the armbands. We were worn down finally by them and let him take them off for a while supervised. While it breaks our hearts to hear the cry it feels good to know we are there to comfort and they let us. This too shall end. Keep the no-nos. He'll love the story when he's older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great suggestions! Thanks! I hadn't thought to keep the no-no's. (I was planning on burning them. LOL!!) But, you're right, they will make for a great story one day, and it will be fun for him to see how little his arms once were!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. At one point we told Jake he could burn them, too, but he lost interest and we kept them.

    ReplyDelete